There is a pond called the Yara Muruchi in the mountains at the boundary between Kadena Cho and Okinawa City. According to a survey done in 1934, the area of the pond was 715 tsubo (approximately 2359.5 square meters) but after World War II but half the area was reclaimed for expansion works of US military housing. Legend "The Legend of the Serpent" had been passed for generations. The serpent that lived in Muruchi was said to bring destructive storms and misfortune, which could be stopped only by offering a virgin as sacrifice. One day, a dutiful maiden, who had left her only grandmother behind, stood facing the pond to offer herself. At once a heavenly god appeared from the pond and slayed the serpent, causing all the misfortune to stop. Later the maiden was married to a prince and, with her grandmother, lived happily ever after. To this day, in Yara, offerings are made in June 15th of the lunar year to pray for a bountiful harvest. A scene from the classical Okinawan Kumiodori Dance "The Faith" Based on the Legend of the Serpent of Yara Muruchi
Yara Castle was also called Okawa Jo (Okawa Castle), where Okawa Aji (the unifier of this area) lived. The ruins is located along the Hija river about 3 kilometers away from the river's mouth. From the ruins, some earthenware, imported chinaware, coins, balls, nails and a piece of gray tile were excavated. Judging from the imported chinaware unearthed at this site, Yara Castle was built between the 13th and the 14th century. Some people say that this is the castle where the most famed figure of Ryukyuan history Lord Amawari was born but this is not certain.
Built in 1867, the Hija Bridge was made of stone and had five beautiful arches. Before WWII, the Yanbaru trading vessels sailed into close proximity of the river and the area around the bridge flourished as a center of commerce. The area was also called Okinawa Yabakei and was famous for its scenic view. The Hija Bridge area was once specified as one of the eight best scenic viewpoints in Okinawa. The Hija Bridge in present times When the construction to widen Highway 1 (the present-day Highway 58) started in 1953, the Hija Bridge was re-built to its present form with reinforced concrete. A female poet Yoshiya Chiru wrote about the Hija bridge: " How I resent the presence of the Hija bridge. Was it built by a merciless person so I could be sold to a brothel on the opposite side of river? "
The Noguni Sokan Shrine was built in 1955 to commemorate the arrival of the sweet potato from China. The shrine is designed in both Chinese and Ryukyu style. Two stone-made Shishi (Chinese lion) statues sent from Hui An Province, Quan Zhou City, Fujian, China are displayed in the shrine. Noguni Sokan introduced the sweet potato to Ryukyu in 1605. In 2005, Kadena town will celebrate its 400th anniversary. The town is promoting a special event for the anniversary. People related to Kadena town in anyway is asked to donate Awamori (Ryukyu liquor). The town plans to dedicate the donated Awamori at the event.
Noguni Sokan was born during the reign of King Shokei in Chatan Magiri (a district consisting of the present-day towns of Kadena and Chatan). "Sokan" is a title he earned when he worked at a trading vessel. In 1605, Soukan brought a sweet potato seedling from China and transplanted it at his birthplace Noguni Village. Afterwards Gima Shinjou introduced the sweet potato throughout the island of Okinawa. During the Hoei Era (1704 to 1710), Maeda Toshiemon of Satsuma, Kyushu transplanted the sweet potato at Satsuma. Further, in 1744, Aoki Konyo introduced the sweet potato to the Kanto region, resulting in the spread of the sweet potato plant throughout Japan. At Noguni and Nozato, Kadena, offerings are made on the tomb every year on the February of the lunar year.
So called because it is possible from the fact that it is possible to get a panoramic view of Kadena Air Base, it has is no formal name. Tourists who wish to have a view of the U.S. military base visits this hill daily.